Thursday, September 22, 2011

Introduction

Life sometimes surprises you.  I never thought in my life that at age 35 I'd be returning to school.  The purpose of this blog is to describe my transition from a dentist to physician, specifically a DO physician.  

So let's start at the beginning.  I'm a 35 year old dentist of 10 years.  I graduated with an honors degree in physiology from the University of Western Ontario in 1994, and completed my DDS degree in 2002 from Marquette University School of Dentistry.  About a year and a half ago, I became educated about DO as a profession and decided to apply to medical school.  

Next...more about my experiences leading to career change, the mcat, interviews and Canadian friendly DO schools

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I saw your blog on SDN and I was wondering why you decided to make the switch from DDS to DO? What are the pros and cons of both professions? I'm an undergrad interested in both fields so it'd be great to get some perspective from someone in the field. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really depends on your interests. I'd say that if you have more of a love for science and medicine, go DO. My interests in healthcare are much more broad than what dentistry can offer so that's why I am switching. Practicing dentistry has "opened" my eyes to many other health issues that I want to provide care for.

    ReplyDelete