Wednesday, October 12, 2011

DO shadowing and exposure to the Osteopathic Profession

Probably the most important factor that influenced me to apply to DO school was meeting Dr. Warren Willey, an osteopathic physician in SE Idaho, who practices bariatric and family medicine.

Dr. Willey is the author of several general health and nutrition books and provides health specific, sport specific and physique specific nutritional counselling.  After reading his book "Better than Steroids", I decided to contact Dr. Willey to set up a consultation concerning my own nutrition as I wanted to learn more about how I could optimize my nutrition for marathon running.

Through the course of my consultation, Dr. Willey enlightened me about the Osteopathic Profession and over the course of the next year I flew to Idaho on 3 occasions to shadow and listen to Dr. Willey lecture.  Furthermore, I began to seek out other avenues to expose myself to osteopathic medicine and attended the Michigan Osteopathic Association Family Medicine Meeting last June, as well as register for additional CME courses in Manual medicine.

These key experiences solidified my desire to change careers and ultimately gain acceptance to DO school.

No comments:

Post a Comment