Monday, October 10, 2011

The MCAT

One of the major factors that had prevented me from applying to medical school in the past is the MCAT.  The MCAT is a mandatory standardized test that must be taken for medical school admissions in the US.

For me, this represented the biggest hurdle, especially since I had not taken premed classes since 1994, and I wasn't planning on upgrading any.  Also, I was practicing dentistry full time in my own practice.

My only options were to take the test and apply to DO schools in the US or not take the test and apply to a few MD schools in Ontario (Northern and Ottawa).  Realizing that I wanted an osteopathic education, I decided to sign up for the next available test.  I studied 2.5 months, while working.

In retrospect, I should have taken a review course to relearn the content, and do many more practice exams than  what I did.  I ultimately scored a mediocre 25 (7P, 9B, 9 V) and was left somewhat satisfied.  I knew that applicants were getting accepted with that score, but would it be enough for a Canadian?  I decided not to retake it and focus on other aspects of my application.  My GPA was a solid 3.76.  I was hoping that my previous success in a doctoral program and clinical experience would be enough.  I decided to increase my exposure with more DO shadowing and CME courses.  I would have to find a school that valued what I could offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment